This October marks the 30th Anniversary of the passage of Public Law 99-457, which established Part C and mandated Part B, Section 619 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). As key partners in improving results and upholding the rights of infants, toddlers, and preschool children requiring early intervention and special education services, OSEP invites you to join in celebrating this important occasion!
Throughout the week of October 3-7, 2016, OSEP will run a campaign showcasing many perspectives from the field, including researchers, families, practitioners, and even individuals who participated in early childhood services through Part C and Part B, Section 619 Preschool. The week will culminate in a Google Hangout to discuss how the law has impacted the field, on Friday, October 7th. Stay tuned for more details on this exciting event.
So, what can you do?
- Share your story, and the stories of your stakeholders! Blog, Facebook post, Instagram, and share. Encourage your stakeholders to share how early childhood provisions in IDEA have affected their lives—and encourage them to use whatever platform they like! Don’t forget to tag the post using the #babyIDEAis30 hashtag.
- Follow Us! Follow OSERS on Twitter, and check out our Blog and YouTube channel throughout the week for new stories, interesting perspectives, and opportunities to discuss and share! The Department of Education is also on Instagram (@usedgov) and Facebook — don’t forget to tag us!
- Upload Videos! We want to hear and see you! OSEP will release videos throughout the week of October 3-7th that shine a light on all that’s been accomplished through IDEA services, and what’s yet to come for infants, toddlers, and young children with disabilities. We want your insights—tag us or use the #babyIDEAis30 hashtag to connect your video with all of us.
- Tweet, retweet and tweet some more! Show your support on Twitter throughout the week. Sample tweets:
- “30 years of early intervention and preschool special education for kids with disabilities– Let’s continue to #teachthebabies! #babyIDEAis30”
- “30 years of improving outcomes for ALL children, at ALL ages. #babyIDEAis30 @ED_Sped_Rehab”
- “Investing in early learning—for children of ANY ABILITY— is investing in our future. #babyIDEAis30 @ED_Sped_Rehab”
- “Early Intervention leads to improved developmental outcomes. #babyIDEAis30”
- “________, what Part C means to me #babyIDEAis30”
- “________, what 619 Preschool means to me #preK #babyIDEAis30 @ED_Sped_Rehab”
- Hold an event! 30 years is quite a lot to celebrate, and let’s not forget about all the work that led to the passage of PL 99-457! This Anniversary is a great opportunity to bring passionate and dedicated folks together to discuss the past, present, and future of early learning and children with disabilities. Let us know what you’re doing to celebrate, and we’ll be happy to help promote!
- Finally, join us on Friday, October 7th for our Early Childhood IDEA Google Hangout! Visit our Website for more details once they become available.
Please contact Charlotte Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and ideas.